I decided to try out Maya Hair, since I've never used it before. I did my best to recreate this piece of production art from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii. As much as I love that game, I was disappointed with the in-game characters' lack of expressiveness compared to the production art, so I tried to convey the original expressiveness here. Not sure I got it all, but I still like the end result.
I've gotten a surprising abount done for my short film in the last couple days. I've been working on the characters for the game portion of the short, making game-style graphics (which we never touched on in school). Here's the player character: That gif is supposed to be animated, but I can't figure out how to get it to work in blogger.
I've also been working on some of the effects, like this energy blast, here: Man, I love the enegrgy effects I've been able to pull off.
I'm sort of aiming for late-PS1 quality, but not sticking to it so strictly that it's unappealing to look at. It's so much fun building things, and thinking only about what basic shapes you need to create things without worring about minute details that nobody's going to see anyways.
Old Rodney on the left, new Rodney (sans rigging) on the right. I defined the shapes and curves a lot more, got rid of a bunch of screwy polygons, and made him look more zombie-ish. Maybe too zombie-ish, though. Gonna play with his textures a bit first.
You can see the adjustments best around his nose, ears, hair and eyes. I really feel like the eyes have more possibilities for expressiveness.
It's weird. I was so proud of the original model when I finished it, but now that I've got the new one, I don't think I would be able to ever go back to the old one.
I figure it's time to get working on my portfolio stuff again. I'm gonna go in and change all the stuff I want to change with my short film first. Here's a low-poly render of an idea I'm kicking around for Jennifer:
Not sure if I'm sticking with it yet or not, but it's a step in the right direction, anyways. I gave her a more interesting top (the last one was too plain), got rid of her tacky shoes, fixed her proportions a little, and cleaned up some of my geometry. More to come.